By writer to www.wfmz.com
WASHINGTON, Dec. 9, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — The American Affiliation of Kidney Sufferers (AAKP) launched the next assertion concerning the U.S. Home of Representatives’ passage of laws authorizing immunosuppressive drug protection for kidney transplant sufferers, an motion taken on the night of December 8, 2020:
“The American Affiliation of Kidney Sufferers, the nation’s largest kidney affected person group, thanks Members of the U.S. Home of Representatives for elevating the democratic best of bipartisanship and the voices of kidney sufferers by way of passage of immunosuppressive drug protection for kidney transplant recipients. COVID-19 poses a severe risk to American kidney well being, has resulted in elevated incidents of acute kidney harm (AKI), and created new considerations for present and future dialysis and organ transplant wants. The choice to donate a kidney to save lots of one other human life is an inherently American act of bravery and selflessness and Congress has honored generations of kidney donors, sufferers, and medical professionals who’ve labored to take away this barrier to elevated kidney donation and fewer time on organ waitlists. AAKP thanks Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Minority Chief Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), Representatives Ron Form (D-WI), Michael Burgess (R-TX), Jimmy Panetta (D-CA), Jason Smith (R-MO), and all different Members for his or her principled management and respect for kidney affected person insights. We additionally lengthen our deep appreciation to our strategic allies together with U.S. Secretary of Well being and Human Companies Alex Azar, Comptroller Normal of the US Gene Dodaro, and Congressional Funds Workplace Administrators Phillip Swagel, predecessor Keith Corridor, and their appointed and profession staffs for his or her respect and substantive engagement with kidney sufferers and AAKP on this problem.
AAKP now respectfully calls upon Senate Majority Chief Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and Senate Minority Chief Chuck Schumer (D-NY) to pay attention carefully to our fellow kidney sufferers and donor households inside their respective states and throughout America, and instantly transfer ahead with bipartisan Senate passage of immunosuppressive drug protection. Additional, we name upon President Donald J. Trump to signal this laws when it’s introduced to the White Home, and, by doing so, additional lengthen his document of traditionally important achievements for larger kidney affected person client care alternative and the transformation of outdated established order kidney care, in line with the extensively acclaimed and bipartisan supported 2019 Govt Order on Advancing American Kidney Well being.“
In 2019, AAKP launched The Decade of the Kidney™, a strategic effort to prepare kidney affected person customers nationally and globally to drive insurance policies to stop kidney harm and illness, assist larger affected person care alternative, drive improvements together with synthetic implantable and wearable kidneys, and well timed entry to remedy choices together with preemptive kidney transplants.
In November of 2020, over 25 AAKP kidney advocates have been acknowledged with Presidential Volunteer Service Awards (PVSA) for his or her ongoing advocacy for kidney transplants and response to the COVID-19 pandemic (read announcement). AAKP affected person volunteers accelerated the group’s nationwide and international impression by way of refined digital platforms, worldwide affected person group partnerships, scientific journal editorials, tv, radio, social media, and a rising Patient Ambassador Initiative. At the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, AAKP modified all 2020 occasions to free digital entry, prioritized COVID-19 matters, and leveraged ways to have interaction a wider viewers. Previously eight months, AAKP has broadcasted knowledgeable COVID-19 insights by way of one global and two national virtual events, a dozen webinars, and launched advocacy campaigns to highlight disparities in minority and kidney patient representation in COVID-19 clinical trials and vaccine distribution protocols. Viewership for 2020 AAKP packages now exceeds 80,000 folks throughout 70 international locations and is rising quickly. Worldwide and nationwide program school has included 90 medical practitioners and researchers, and 60 affected person consultants. The AAKP Global Summit on Kidney Innovations, performed in partnership with The George Washington College Faculty of Medication and Well being Sciences, alone reached over 20,000 sufferers and professionals worldwide in July of 2020.
AAKP Board Members and affected person members play key roles in prime federal initiatives together with: implementation of the Govt Order on Advancing American Kidney Care; the Nationwide Institutes of Well being/Nationwide Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Illnesses (NIH/NIDDK) Kidney Precision Medication Venture (KPMP); the U.S. Meals and Drug Administration and ASN partnership, the Kidney Well being Initiative (KHI); and the U.S. Division of Well being and Human Companies Kidney Innovation Accelerator, or KidneyX.
AAKP Nationwide Board Officers and Administrators
- Richard Knight, MBA, President; transplant recipient
- Edward V. Hickey, III, USMC, Vice President; Chair, Veterans Well being Initiative; kidney affected person
- Daniel Abel, Secretary; transplant recipient
- Paul T. Conway, Fast Previous President; Chair of Coverage and International Affairs; transplant recipient
- Kent Bressler, MA, RN, pre-emptive transplant recipient
- Patrick O. Gee, Sr., transplant recipient
- Doug Johnson, MD, Vice Chairman of Dialysis Clinic, Inc.
- Jennifer Jones, USMC; transplant recipient
- Janice Lea, MD, MsC, FASN, Professor of Medication at Emory College; Scientific Director of Nephrology; Chief Medical Director of Emory Dialysis
- James W. Myers, III, transplant recipient
- David Rodriguez, transplant recipient
- Dale Rogers, transplant recipient
- Suzanne Ruff, residing organ donor
- Sara Eve Schaffer, MBA, MA, RD; Govt Director for the Well being Companies Advisory Group, Inc.
- Lana Schmidt, MBA, transplant recipient
- Barry Smith, MD, PhD, Director of Dreyfus Well being Coverage and Analysis Heart
AAKP Medical Advisory Board
- Dr. Stephen Z. Fadem, MAB Chairman, Scientific Professor of Medication at Baylor School of Medication Part of Nephrology
- Dr. Akhtar Ashfaq, Senior Vice President of Scientific Analysis & Growth and Medical Affairs at OPKO Renal
- Dr. Timothy Bunchman, Professor and Director Pediatric Nephrology at Youngsters’s Hospital of Richmond
- Dr. Richard Glassock, Professor Emeritus of David Geffen Faculty of Medication at UCLA
- Dr. Frederick J. Kaskel, Director of the Division of Pediatric Nephrology, Youngsters’s Hospital at Montefiore
- Dr. Peter A. Laird, Inside Medication Specialist at Kasier (ret.)
- Dr. Nathan Levin, Founder and previous Medical and Analysis Director of Renal Analysis Institute
- Dr. Robert Miller, Pediatric Nephrologist at New Mexico Youngsters’s Kidney Heart
- Dr. William B. Mitch, Professor of Medication at Baylor School of Medication Part of Nephrology
- Dr. Keith Norris, Professor of Medication at David Geffen Faculty of Medication at UCLA
- Dr. Rebecca Schmidt, Professor and Chief of the Division of Nephrology at West Virginia Faculty of Medication
- Dr. Thomas G. Peters, Professor of Surgical procedure at College of Florida
- Dr. Leslie P. Wong, Chief Medical Officer of Nephrology Care Alliance and Affiliate Medical Director of Cleveland Clinic ACO
Established in 1969, AAKP is the oldest and largest unbiased kidney affected person group in the US, with rising worldwide impression by way of a world community of affected person advocates, kidney researchers, medical innovation leaders, and coverage influencers. AAKP is among the many strongest advocates for kidney affected person client care alternative and the complete alignment of kidney care remedy to the aspirations of particular person sufferers, together with their pursuit of full-time work, skilled careers, households, house possession, and a safe retirement. From 1969-1973, AAKP sufferers led the hassle within the U.S. Congress, alongside senior White Home officers, to ascertain the Finish Stage Renal Illness Program (ESRD), which has saved over 1,000,000 lives by way of trendy dialysis protection as administered by the Facilities for Medicare and Medicaid Help. For extra info, go to www.aakp.org. Observe AAKP on social media: @kidneypatient on Facebook, and @kidneypatients on Twitter.
Jennifer Duplessie, Advertising and marketing and Communications Supervisor
— to www.wfmz.com