By creator to www.rocketminer.com
ROCK SPRINGS — A lady who says she was a “late bloomer” to the nursing occupation, has acquired the Florence Nightingale Award for Excellence in Nursing from her friends at Memorial Hospital of Sweetwater County.
This yr, it went to Nicole Halstead, Sweetwater Memorial’s Dialysis Clinic Director.
Nationwide, the award is given in a wide range of methods. At Sweetwater Memorial, the award winner is voted on by friends — the complete nursing employees. That group seems to be for somebody who has gone above and past of their day by day duties and repair to sufferers.
“Nicole Halstead actually exemplifies that,” Kristy Nielson, MHSC Chief Nursing Officer stated in a press launch. “Nicole is a real function mannequin for our MHSC Mission, Imaginative and prescient and Values. I’m so pleased with her and the compassion she provides to her sufferers, her employees, and her friends. It’s such a privilege to be working with Nicole, all the nominees, and the complete MHSC Nursing Companies employees.”
Halstead stated she was “very honored and humbled” to obtain the award. “I take nice pleasure within the work my group and I’ve achieved during the last two and half years with dialysis, the event of a peritoneal program, and the expansion now we have seen. I really love my function as a nurse and having the ability to make a distinction in so many lives inside this group.”
She is amongst 14 nurses who had been nominated. These nurses embody:
• Kelsey Pearson: a nurse on the medical/surgical ground, nominated for her “intelligence, empathy and kindness.”
• Sarah Corhn: Obstetrics, nominated for her “intelligence, diligence and caring.”
• Joan Fowler: Med-Surg, nominated for her “compassion and dedication, and goes the additional mile for all sufferers.”
• Jocelyn Palinek, FNP: Inner Medication Workplace, nominated for “caring, decided and considerate.”
• Del Kachnowski: Intensive Care Unit, nominated for her “excellence and advocacy, and for being a job mannequin and instructor.”
• Macayla Arrington: Emergency Division, nominated for her “compassion, ability and information.”
• Karen Vesco: Obstetrics, nominated for her “management, work as an educator, and empathy.”
• Amelia Cuevas: Obstetrics, nominated for her “management, advocacy and information.”
• Kim White: Scientific Documentation Enchancment/Incident Command Chief, nominated for her “management, power and compassion.”
• Ashleigh Swanson: Med-Sur /ICU, nominated for her “compassion, kindness and empathy.”
• JoLynn Porter: Med-Surg, nominated for her “compassion, teamwork and exhausting work.”
• Brooke Forster: SDS, nominated for her “compassion, persistence and being a group participant.”
• Leanna Lovato: Training, was nominated for her “caring, reliability and trustworthiness.”
Halstead was nominated for her “compassion and willpower, and for going above and past.”
She was a “late bloomer to the occupation,” she stated, not beginning a profession within the nursing area till 2008 in her 30s. She labored as a licensed nursing assistant at what’s now Sage View Care Middle whereas she attended school. She acquired her Licensed Sensible Nursing certificates a yr later, working as an LPN till she accomplished her Affiliate’s Diploma in Might 2013. She started working as a registered nurse within the MHSC Dialysis Clinic in November 2013. She acquired a Bachelor’s Diploma of Nursing in June 2015.
She stepped away from dialysis in 2016 for 9 months to check out a case administration place within the Emergency Room.
“I beloved the problem, and every little thing that I realized whereas there,” Halstead stated. “However I made a decision that dialysis was my calling. When the Dialysis Clinic Director place opened in Might 2017, I jumped on it.”
The affected person census within the Dialysis Clinic has greater than doubled since then. Final yr, the clinic opened Facilities for Medicare and Medicaid Companies-certified Peritoneal Dialysis Division. Up to now, it has cared for a complete of eight sufferers, with one receiving a kidney transplant.
“We contemplate this an enormous success as a result of our affected person was in a position to proceed to work whereas performing her care at residence, on her phrases, all whereas working towards transplant,” Halstead stated. “The affected person not wants peritoneal dialysis to outlive.”
Halstead stated there are lots of causes she loves working in dialysis and with end-stage renal sufferers.
“I get the chance to work with the identical sufferers each week, and so they turn into part of my prolonged household,” she stated. “Our sufferers are wonderful folks, ranging in age from their 20s to their 90s, all with a narrative of survival that might encourage anybody.
“Their challenges will not be straightforward, however many nonetheless work, increase households, journey and are productive members of our group. It’s inspiring what our division does to assist them.”
Dialysis is a specialty of drugs with loads of pathophysiology behind it, Halstead stated. It’s a newer science that’s regularly making advances in drugs, permitting the inhabitants of sufferers to stay longer with a larger high quality of life.
“It’s really wonderful how the human physique can acclimate and survive with little to no renal perform,” she stated. “Once you perceive the dearth of renal perform an individual resides with, you perceive simply how vital the kidneys are to the remainder of the physique methods. The kidneys regulate so many parts of the human physique, and with out correct perform, it impacts every little thing from cardiac perform to the restricted food plan our sufferers are required to comply with.”
Her friends agreed, that she follows Florence Nightingale’s instance. Florence Nightingale was a trailblazing determine in nursing who significantly affected 19th- and 20th-century insurance policies round correct medical care, in keeping with biography.com. She was recognized for her night time rounds to help the wounded, establishing her picture because the “Woman with the Lamp.”
For extra on the Dialysis Clinic and all that Memorial Hospital of Sweetwater County and its Specialty Clinics have to supply go to www.sweetwatermemorial.com.
— to www.rocketminer.com