By writer to www.unionleader.com
SURVEYING the New Hampshire sports activities panorama:
•Tunji Awojobi’s associates and former teammates have began a GoFundMe web page for the previous Trinity Excessive College athlete who’s at present coping with monetary stress introduced on by his medical situation.
Awojobi, who resides within the Atlanta space, underwent coronary heart bypass surgical procedure earlier this month and is in want of a kidney transplant. Due to his medical situation and the COVID-19 pandemic, he has been unable to work for the previous two years.
“Tunji” grew to become a family title amongst New Hampshire sports activities followers in the course of the 1992-93 NHIAA basketball season, when he led the Pioneers to 15 victories and was named the New Hampshire Participant of the Yr. Trinity’s season ended with a loss to Manchester West within the Class L quarterfinals. West went on to win the Class L championship that season.
Awojobi, who got here to the USA from Nigeria, was additionally an all-state performer in observe and discipline (excessive bounce, 100 meters and 200 meters) whereas at Trinity. After his senior season he was chosen because the MVP of the Alhambra Sport, an all-star basketball sport between New Hampshire and Vermont.
Awojobi, a 6-foot-7 ahead, performed school basketball at Boston College from 1993 to 1997, the place he grew to become the primary participant from a New England faculty to report greater than 2,000 factors and greater than 1,000 rebounds throughout his profession.
When his school profession was full, he was one among 5 Division I gamers to have no less than 2,000 factors, 1,000 rebounds and 300 blocked pictures, becoming a member of Alonzo Mourning (Georgetown), Pervis Ellison (Louisville), Derrick Coleman (Syracuse) and David Robinson (Navy).
He was identified with an irregular heartbeat whereas at BU.
• Earlier this month we reported that Manchester Central and Manchester Memorial had been every in search of a varsity baseball coach. Ultimately verify, every faculty was in want of a varsity softball coach as effectively, since Central’s Emily Sedita and Memorial’s Rachel Hedge Dahmke have each resigned. Dahmke joined the Southern New Hampshire College softball program as an assistant coach.
• The UNH soccer workforce is scheduled to kick off its spring season every week from Friday with a house sport towards Albany. UNH has not made an announcement concerning whether or not followers can be allowed to attend dwelling video games.
• Ryan Avery resigned final Friday after spending the final 4 years as Monadnock Regional Excessive College’s varsity soccer coach. He stated he made the choice so he might spend extra time together with his household, which incorporates six youngsters.
Avery, 44, led Monadnock to the Division III championship in 2018. The Huskies completed because the Division III runner-up in 2017.
• The native school baseball season is scheduled to start Sunday, when New England School will face Anna Maria on the New England Baseball Complicated in Northborough, Mass.
• A reminder that the third-seeded UNH males’s basketball workforce will face both sixth-seeded UMass Lowell or seventh-seeded Stony Brook within the America East semifinals Sunday. Lowell and Stony Brook will meet within the quarterfinals at UNH on Saturday (1 p.m.).
• The New Hampshire sports activities neighborhood misplaced a very good one Monday when former Portsmouth Excessive College soccer coach Invoice Murphy handed away after a battle with Alzheimer’s illness. He was 73.
Murphy, who additionally coached observe and discipline at Portsmouth, guided the Clippers to the Division III championship in 2011 and 2012, his ultimate two years as this system’s head coach. He coached soccer at Portsmouth for 41 years after beginning as the college’s freshman coach in 1972.
Murphy was a selfless man who refused to take an oz. of credit score for any workforce success. He was a very good coach, and a terrific individual.
— to www.unionleader.com